This post is also available in: Deutsch (German)
For treatment of parts subject to extreme wear stress the plasma nitrocarburizing method is more favorable than plasma nitriding. This process allows to form thicker compound layers with a higher wear resistance. In addition to nitrogen, carbon is also used for diffusion.
This method is particularly suitable for unalloyed and low-alloyed steels with low carbon content. The compound layer formed with this method mainly contains ε-Carbonitride Fe2-3CN.
Advantages of plasma nitrocarburizing method:
- Cleaning of parts at the beginning of the plasma treatment
- Enhanced toughness of the hardened surface layer
- Formation of a thick compound layer with excellent running properties
- Reduced spalling of the layer
- Layers are less brittle and porous than with nitrocarburizing or gas carbonitriding
- Post-processing work is minimized
- No post-cleaning required